Thursday, December 21, 2006

Dang Me!

Have I blown an opportunity???

You may or may not remember (heck, you may have not read it at all) in my "About Me" write-up, I mentioned that I am interested in RVing. I fell in love with the Lazy Daze brand of RV and wanted one for weekends and vacations now and as a permanent residence when I retire and hit the road. Now there aren't a lot of Lazy Daze's around: the LD company is a small privately owned business in Montclair CA that sells direct from the factory only - no dealerships - maybe only a few hundred coaches per year.

They are not imported into Canada. In fact, LD has never bothered to acquire Canadian approval. How can you blame them? However, there is a loophole of sorts. Any RV over 15 years old can be imported. This would mean that next year, 2007, I could import a 1992 unit. So, back in January I started watching to see how many 1992's were listed for sale in the size and style I preferred. Guess how many there've been?

One. Two weeks ago.

It was in Tennessee... not so far as Arizona or California. Also, the friend of a friend was going to be in Memphis (where it was) that weekend and was willing to go and take a look at it for me... gratis. Wow! Was this Kismet or Karma or something?! I began assembling the forms and rules I would need to get this thing across the border. To my dismay, I found that to be legal, the unit must be 15 years old based not on model year but on year and MONTH of manufacture. Oh, nooo...... I contacted the seller and learned the unit was manufactured in July 1992. It wouldn't be "legal" until July 2007.

What to do. I could go ahead and buy it and pay to store it in the States for over six months or give it a pass and hope for another. (Or hope it doesn't sell in six months - fat chance.) Cheap-Ginger won and I gave it a pass. Now I compulsively check the ad every day to see if/when "my" RV sells.

I think I screwed up.

Take a rope and hang me.

Ginger

No comments: