Monday, November 27, 2006

It's all Mom's Fault!

Yeah, that's right. Sure...

Mom is artsy: needlework, painting, sewing... you name it. Mom had also moved from a large three bedroom townhome to a small two bedroom apartment undergoing, in the process, the inevitable purge. Out went the paints, sewing machine, and other artsy stuff. Ruthless that woman is.

Mom is also difficult in the extreme to buy for. "Oh, I don't want anything, Dear. I have everything I need." You've got one of those too, eh? Well, there I was in one of the trendy areas of town and there was the bead shop. They had all these pretty baskets with cellophane shreds and nested there all these little tubes of pretty beads. There was everything you needed to make a jewellery box full of earrings, bracelets, necklaces - even a couple of key rings. It was all I could do not to buy two: one for Mom and one for me. Greedy me.

I have bought Mom clothing I've never seen since. Books that now reside in the building's lending library. Jewellery that's "too nice" for the places she goes.

She really loves the coffee at my place. I use only Colombian beans and use a Bodum coffee press which, in my opinion makes the best coffee anywhere. So, I bought her a bag of Colombian beans, a grinder and a Bodum pot with a matching set of coffee cups. I swear the only time it gets used is when I visit. She always has to get instructions on how much coffee, how to run the grinder etc etc. (She never has to ask how much Tasters Choice to put into the cup.)

One year I figured I'd really cracked the code and bought her a case of edible treats: black olive bread sticks, lobster bisque, a packet of saffron, smoked oysters, Paris toasts... You get the picture. A couple of years later I found them at the back of one of the top shelves in her kitchen. "They're too fancy for me." What should I give her a case of cream of tomato soup and a box of saltines?

Anyway, back to the beads. I was really happy to find the beading kit. I gave it to her with hopeful expectations. She seemed so excited about it but then she always seems excited about the presents I give her. Guess what! I never saw one article that came from that darn kit. Until one day, we were chatting about hobbies and stuff. I mentioned that beading seemed like an interesting hobby. "Just a minute, I have something for you." And off she went. I just knew what was coming back. And there it was, all pretty and shiny with cellophane shreds and lots of little tubes filled with every colour in the rainbow and some no rainbow has ever seen.

"I really haven't had the time to use this - maybe you would like to give it a try." I felt the greed rising in my throat. Oh, OK, I said non-chalantly, unwrapping the basket. Conversation stumbled to a halt while I rooted around in that stash.

That was the beginning of my addiction. And it really was all Mom's fault, right?


This is a set I made for Mom, at her request, to her specification. It is Carnelian and Fire Agate with gold filled findings. I will let you know if/when I ever see it actually on her person.

No comments: